Sunday, February 15, 2009

Notoriously Awful

I spent my Valentine's Day at the movie theater watching Notorious. I have been personally boycotting the movie ever since I first heard about it. It was never something I wanted to see, especially not paying to see it. But my friend wanted to see it so I gave in and accompanied him. I already heard and read so much about the movie, not to mention we already know most of what happened. As much as I love movies, this was one on my To-Don't List. Its not that the movie was all that bad, I just feel like the man's death is constantly being exploited by Puffy. Think about it. Name another artist in hip-hop or R&B that died who has stuff going after their death (excluding post-mortem albums). Not Tupac. His movie actually had him in it so that doesn't count. It was about his philosophy on life moreso than his life itself. What about Aaliyah? Nothing. Left Eye had a documentary but she was in it, shooting some of it herself so it doesn't count either. Easy E? Nothing. Jam Master J? Nothing. J-Dilla? Nothing. But Puffy won't let you forget that he was Biggie's BFF or that Biggie died young or that he's supposed to be the best rapper ever. Puffy is always doing something to make people relive Biggie's death all over again. How can the man truly rest in peace if you're forever reminding us about it? The man's death was tragic and he died so young. Its a shame, yes. But can we please move on with our lives. Puffy is already a multimillionaire. Anything he puts his name on or attached to is gonna make money. So doing a movie about Biggie is a guaranteed million dollar money maker. Yeah he's gotta get the consent of the family and parties involved before he can start the project but I highly doubt that the idea for this movie originated with Biggie's family. Puffy came up with the idea and told the family. The family is gonna get paid and everyone wants money so why not go along with it. But my point is that Puffy is the one initiating everything and you know Puff is all about the benjamins. I was never a huge Biggie fan but I did like some of his music so I'm not hating on him. I just feel like this is another outlet for Puffy to make money. And then after the movie comes the clothing line. When will it stop? When we he still reminding up of that terrible tragedy? Wasn't Tupac's life just as important? Wasn't his death just as tragic? But do you hear all this fuss being kicked up about him? No. All I'm saying is just let the man rest in peace. His memory will live on without Puffy having to remind us about it every 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the words of Travis McCoy, "Bitches post anonymous" so leave a name