Thursday, March 12, 2009

Personal Therapist

Some of my friends come to me to vent their frustrations. They just need someone to listen to them as they rant and rave about things going on in their lives. That's the kind of friend I am, I'm a listener. But the problem I have with a select few of them as when they ask me for advice and then don't take it only to come back to me complaining about the same problems (you know who you are). I assume you value my opinion, which is why you would ask me in the first place but honestly, I don't dish out gems of wisdom for my own listening enjoyment. I have no problem listening to you but I do have a problem when you ask for advice and don't take it. True, you don't have to take my advice but why ask for it if you aren't even gonna do it? If I got paid for every time I played personal therapist I could seriously consider quitting my job and doing this full time. One person in particular was having man troubles and I was friends with the guy as well. So when she calls me to complain about him, he calls me on the other line to complain about her. My phone bill was sky high for that month and I told both of them to give me money to pay my bill (yeah I'm still waiting on it but I don't let them forget it). Some of my friends like to play the "what if" game aka the "I have a friend who..." game as if I don't already know they are talking about themselves and the same situation that they been calling me about. Like I tell them all, don't ask me questions like that because if I were in that situation, it wouldn't have gotten to where it is because I would have already done X, Y, and Z. So by now, the situation would be totally different from where you are and where I would be, hypothetically. When I give advice, I think about what that person would do, not what I would do. I've known these people for years and I know their personalities so my advice is catered specifically to them. I could tell you what I would do but you aren't me and you won't do it. Hell, you already don't listen to the advice I give you. With some of them, they already know what the problem is and usually the solution is something simple but not something they want to do so they want more options. But if you know what you need to do, why don't you do it instead of wasting my time looking for another way out? I said I would listen but its a waste of my time to continuously listen to the same problems get worse even after you asked me for advice AND told me you know what the problem is. So its almost like what am I really there for? Anyways, I've started telling some of my friends (the ones that call regularly) that I'm charging a fee for my services. If your life is outta whack, and you want my help, its gonna cost you. Not much but I ain't doing it for free no more. That'll stop them from calling me lol

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the words of Travis McCoy, "Bitches post anonymous" so leave a name